“A cookie is a small text file that is downloaded onto a device (e.g. a computer or smartphone) when the user accesses a website. It allows the website to recognise that user’s device and store some information about the user’s preferences or past actions.”
We use several types of cookies for a number of reasons across the college’s websites. Some are essential, while others you can opt out of or block. Most web browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can usually modify your browser setting to decline cookies if you prefer. This may, however, prevent you from taking full advantage of the website’s functionality.
There are broad categories why a cookie will be stored on your device when visiting the college’s websites.
- Cookies that make the website work properly for you and enable you to make use of any secure online services that we provide.
- Cookies that collect data about your use of the website which is used to help us improve our online services.
- Cookies that remember your preferences and make the site easier for you to use.
- Cookies that are placed by third party services that we make use of to enhance the information we present online. We have no control over these third party cookies, but specifically list their use and indicate the privacy statements of the organisations involved.
- For marketing purposes, we also deploy third party remarketing cookies. These cookies are used to deliver advertisements more relevant to you and your interests. They are also used to limit the number of times you see an advertisement as well as help measure the effectiveness of an advertising campaign. You will explicitly be asked for your consent for this type of cookie.
Some cookies are retained in your browser for only as long as you visit the website, while others persist for a longer specified or unspecified period.
On initial access, this website informs visitors that cookies are used and prompts for explicit consent for third party remarketing cookies. This is facilitated by the CIVIC Cookie Control mechanism which sets a cookie (CookieControl) storing the visitor’s decision. The cookies GCookie and SCookie are also created with a value of 'set' if explicit consent for third party remarketing cookies is given.
Cookies set by third parties
The following third party functionality is embedded into certain pages of the website and the third party will set their own cookie(s). We have no control over these cookies.
Facebook and Google
Interactive timelines are presented using a user interface provided by Tiki-Toki. Their privacy statement can be found at: https://www.tiki-toki.com/privacy
A step by step guide on how to control and delete cookies in various browsers is available at www.aboutcookies.org.